Thursday, August 18, 2011

Oh its a Blustery Day

I awoke this morning to the sound of thunder and dark skies. We really need the rain and the cooler weather is definitely a welcome site considering we have been in the triple digits for a month and the heat indexes are through the roof. I have a off the wall skin condition going on right now that the doctors are having fun trying to diagnose so they keep shoveling Antibiotics and Steroids in me to try and clear me up. The only catch is that I have to drink lots of water, that one is easy because I am always running around with a glass of iced tea in my hand (true southern boy) and I have to stay out of the sun. The later is not fun at all........

As I mentioned earlier I do work on vintage machines for others and I am sitting here thinking about how many I need to be working on right now. Two 301's, a 201, three 27's, three Featherweights and a gaggle of machines that are mine I need to put into my collection and in my quilting studio for use. I am a firm believer in the treadle. In fact I pretty much live and die by the treadle and I do not see me owning many eMachines in my life. I do have a Wilcox and Gibbs industrial that thanks to a really sweet friend she talked me into leaving it electrified so I can use it like it was meant to be. I guess she is right about that one because I do not think I could spool my treadle up tight enough to let the machine run at its full capacity of 4000 stitches a minute. Plus I really think the butcher block table top is very pretty.

I will try to include some photos on this post and show you a few machines I have in my studio and the central treadle. I have it built so that all I have to do is change out these wooden plates to accommodate different machines and the quilting table top is 36"x140" when I add my fill in leaf. But it is painted a nice cheery orangish and curtains I made from some of my stash for a quilty feel. I have a wall unit (which is way bigger now) that I keep 19 machines in that I have allotted for use in the studio. My good machines are in my home where they only get used on occasion but it is a house rule to make a quilt off of every machine that I own. But I have 3 or 4 more to add to the studio like a Singer 66-18, Singer 185K, W&W D9, and a 328K. The 185K and the 128k will be treadled along with the 66-18. I only have one electric machine out there and it is a 301 and its my version of the FW that I can take to classes if I go. But my 328K and the 185K will be repaints, the 328K will be a candy Brandywine and the 185K who knows but it will be a way out there color for sure.

Well I figured out how to load photos (which is good) and I have a few of my studio when I just finished the majority of the remodel. I still need to tile the floor and I am adding on another 2000sqft to it so I can house my collection, have a service department and a quilting area.It will be built to look like a Singer Store from back in the 1940's including the huge backlit sign that would be on the store front.









1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I saw that you were the expert who started the Vintage Shop on Quilting Board. I was wondering if you have any links to good tutorials? I just got a Brunswick treadle machine and I'm having trouble even threading it and adjusting the tension so that it'll stitch (quite frustrating!) I am only finding information and threads about Singer treadles which hasn't been helping me much with my problem. Please let me know if you have the chance. Thank you!

    Lux

    ReplyDelete